Kidney Disease Prevention
Kidney Disease is the ninth leading cause of death
in the US.
Kidney disease affects an estimated 10% of the population of the United States with many people unaware that they have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). Taking steps to prevent and slow the affects of CKD is imperative to fending off other conditions like cardiovascular disease. CKD prevention begins with healthy living.
- Control your blood pressure
- Control your diabetes, if applicable
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stay fit; do 30 minutes of physical activity a day
- Limit or stop smoking
- Reduce stress levels
- Low sodium diet
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Eat plenty of legumes (peas or beans)
- Eat lean meat like fish and chicken each week
- Drink plenty of water
- Cut out the sugary drinks
- Limit your alcohol consumption
If you or a loved one are living with Chronic Kidney Disease, check out our kidney disease diet guide.